Chucking customary New Year's Resolutions!

I have never actually understood the annual custom of making "New Year's Resolutions"! Every year, at this time, people have this sudden concern about the way they have led their lives the previous year. Does it take you an entire year to realize that the lifestyle you had been leading was not the best lifestyle you could have been leading?


In my view, New Year's Resolution's have become an excuse for society to feel better about themselves. I know, for sure, that when I decide to chuck an old habit I feel better about my new, reformed self. 


Haha! I just had to post this comic! 




I'm not discouraging people from making resolutions, I'm just pointing out the mere fact that you don't need a new year to usher in your resolutions. Many people put so much pressure on themselves to keep their resolutions that if they don't, they find themselves slowly filling their thoughts with doubt and question their ability to change. "I didn't make as much money as I said I would", "I didn't get that promotion or switch jobs." and "I'm hopeless." are just a few of the disappointing thoughts people set themselves up for. In extreme cases, people can even go through depression!


All this fuss for a list of goals you set for yourself? Perhaps, I'm a cynic when it comes to these things, but I find my opinion very valid in today's society - a society where we place value on ourselves based on how much we've accomplished. 


So, maybe you want to take one last look at that list you've got written down and edit a few things. Don't wait for the new year to arrive before you make your lifestyle changes. Be serious about changing habits the moment you realize how toxic they are for your life. 

Comments

  1. Interesting! I stopped making New Year resolutions ages ago. I've discovered most resolutions people make are unattainable and out of this world. It's good to have goals in life. But they have to be 'tampered' with reality and must be attainable. Success is a process.

    Chris csn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment