Learning From People Older Than Me

As my first year in Stellenbosch draws to an end, I'm amazed at what an experience it has all been. My following posts for the remainder of the year will focus on memorable moments which and/ or people who have made my first year an unforgettable experience. This particular post is a tribute to all the older people I have interacted with this year.

For the first time in my life I interacted on an equal level with people much older than me. It has been such an encouragement for me to observe these people and learn from their life experiences. I must admit, however, that it was slightly intimidating for me to converse with a Programming lecturer, an English Master's student, a Theology Master's student, Global Studies Master's students, a Grade 3 teacher, a Logistic's Master's student... to name a few. "These are people with years of more life experience than me", was my first thought, "how am I supposed to make casual conversation with them?" 

What could I, an 18 year old first year student, say that was not too mundane? What topic would not lead me into an intellectual sinkhole? These were just some of the thoughts that ran through my mind each time I was introduced to someone 5 or more years older than me. Being a last born whose opinion is always shunned or whose comment is always taken lightly, you can understand why my mind would be overcome by such thoughts. But, thankfully these feelings of intimidation were soon replaced by feelings of admiration.

Soon I began to learn a lot from these older people and I eventually found myself submerged in their wisdom and maturity. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before. I really felt that I could freely converse about anything without feeling like a youngster among adults or being scared to comment on something. In fact, I very quickly proclaimed myself a young adult as I grew in mature thinking. 

When a friend of mine from high school said I sound more mature, I knew that my speedy growth was due to the fact that I began to interact with people older than me. I am thankful to God for placing these people in my life and for the great deal of knowledge I have acquired from them. 

Comments