Wanderlust | Fernweh | Itchy Feet



It's not always easy to pursue what your heart desires. Sometimes we're constrained by time, money and just simply life. As I sit here typing out this blog post, my heart desires for far-off places. Far-off places where I'll meet new faces, indulge in exotic cuisines, drink fine wines and crisp cocktails, explore, venture, get lost and have a host of new experiences. My heart's desire at this very moment can be summed up as - "Wanderlust", "Fernweh", "Itchy Feet". I want to travel!

Source: Urban Dictionary


I just have this deep longing for somewhere different. The world is full of quaint places and I'm yearning to explore them. Indeed, my adventure in Stellenbosch has not yet come to an end and I'm certain that there's still much to discover in the streets I frequent, however, my feet can only carry me so far and the streets are only so narrow.

I want to be surrounded by people who don't speak a language I understand, and people with an appetite for strange foods. I want to feel the breeze of foreign air, filled with unfamiliar scents. I want to meet a stranger who'll show me around the city, then tell me how much better the countryside is. I want to worship God in a church with different people, who speak a different language. I don't want to sleep in my own bed, or use my own phone, or understand the value of my money.  


Yeah, well, I can do all the "wanting" in the world but my reality remains - A student, living on a student budget. The only thing I can do to settle my wanderlust is to live within my means and day-dream of far-off places. What? No! That's hardly satisfying! I'm saving up for a trip to Asia and determined to satisfy my heart's desire. It may be at the end of this year or next year or perhaps even in 5 years time, but I'm working towards it as best I can. That's what counts after all, right?

Source: http://www.lets-tour-bangkok.com/image-files/Asia-Flight_83797393.jpg
    


Comments