Visit @ Maties experience

I was in a little town, in the Western Cape, called Stellenbosch over the past few days. What an incredible experience! I could write an entire book on what I learnt, but I'll choose to write one simple post to highlight what inspired me on my visit.

16 diverse, top achieving learners from all across South Africa, brought together on common ground and united by their drive to make a success of themselves. I was truly struck by how we arrived there as complete strangers, from different backgrounds, and departed as friends, heading in the same direction.

Too often we think that we are in a unique situation or that there is nobody with the same values or motive as ourselves. We ask God for answers to undefined problems, hoping that somehow we can wrap our minds around it and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile, God has a completely different route for us to take!

I remember being discouraged during my June exams and after my June exams, but somehow I found a slight glimmer of motivation during prelims. Apparently, matric is the most stressful time in one's life because the decisions we make in this year will affect our lives forever. It's as if matric is the cross-road of life and each and every decision we make can either lead us to a dirt road of absolute despair or a high-way to hope and success!

Each of the 15 people I encountered over this period is going through the exact same decision process as I am. It was interesting to observe how everyone was dealing with this process in their own way and yet we all have the same decision to make. So, although we had this common "dilemma" there were still those unique traits that surfaced through how we dealt with this situation.

Encouraged by my astounding experience, I returned to Pretoria with a stronger determination for the remainder of the year. All that had seemed so futile to me during June is suddenly my drive to achieve the best that I possibly can!

With that being said, I envision the end of my schooling career to be fruitful after having undergone a tremendous amount of hard work!

Comments