Is Your Friendship Online or Offline?

Hello world!

I realized that I learn more about people from what they post of social media sites, than I do from having face-to-face interaction with them. I think it's both a beauty and a curse - two sides of the same coin. 

The beauty lies in the fact that you can maintain a friendship with someone who you don't see everyday. What they post online is like a window into their lives, and you get to share in that from across the world. It makes friendships somewhat easier to maintain. I mean, I don't have to call or email you to check up on how you're doing. All it takes is one Tweet saying, "Great day for a beach day! Can't wait to head out with ..." or one Instagram picture of a half-eaten waffle with the caption: "Waffles with the bae. I'm so lucky to have you in my life. #Spoilt #BAEThings #SeasideChilling #MorningDate #GordonsBay or is it #GordonsBAE" - that's all you need to see and you're updated about 5 things in your friend's life:
1) She's going to the beach today
2) She thinks the weather in Gordon's Bay is great
3) She's in a relationship
4) She uses the word "BAE" 
5) She likes waffles
 - that's more than she would tell you in an average conversation when you see each other after 5 months.

But, there's a downside. With all the information that's posted on social media, what's left to talk about? Conversations nowadays are likely to sound a little like this..

You: Hey friend! It's so good to see you! How have you been?
Friend: Hey friend! It's good to see you, too - it's been so long. I've been good thanks. Just busy studying for my final make-up practical...
You: Oh yeah, I saw the make-up you did for Sharon's wedding. It was stunning.
Friend: Thanks! I saw that you "liked" that picture on Facebook... but you didn't "like" the entire album. 
You: Oh, didn't I? Well, I thought all the pictures looked good...
Friend: Then why didn't you like the album??
You: Uhm... 
Friend: I mean, you could've just liked the album if you thought all the pictures looked "good".
You: Ok, ok, I'll go back and like the album *takes phone out, starts scrolling down Newsfeed*
Friend: *takes phone out, starts scrolling down Newsfeed to look busy*

...and there, you've had an entire conversation about NOTHING! Social media makes us obsessive, and feeds our cravings for attention. This spins off into our REAL social lives and has the potential to be unhealthy for our relationships. I know I've posted about social media before (a couple of years ago), but this was a topic I felt needed to be revisited. Probably, due to the rapid pace at which social media has trampled through our social lives. 

Although this post was kind of comical, I think there's a serious lesson to take away from it. We really should use social media in conjunction with our real social lives. Use it to keep in touch, but don't lose touch with real life. 
And on that note, follow me on TWITTER: @rrbex

                                     

Comments