Letter to a Friend

Dear friend,

I thank God for the way He spontaneously brought you in to my life. It was a sudden friendship - like you catapulted from your world into mine. You brought with you all sorts of strange and wonderful tendencies which I may not have understood, initially, but I was willing to accommodate. It started as a simple relation. Short chats. Elementary topics of conversation. Soft hugs. Light jokes.

But then, something emerged. Our interactions transformed in to a friendship. So unexpected. You laid down your vulnerabilities and opened yourself up to be loved once more, by one more person, in the hope that you would discover some element of yourself. Yet, here I am, having discovered something about myself through you. Through you, I've seen that I'm not who I used to be. I'm not as profound as I'd like to be, not as bold as I'm supposed to be, not as kind as I'm expected to be. I'm braver than I thought I was, smarter than I admit I am, more loving than I show I am and more patient than I was taught to be. You, dear friend, brought all this to light.

Your willingness to share, care, and be unique amidst a strong current of "worldliness" is admirable. Even more, your words are ever engaging my mind beyond the four wall of casual conversation - stirring me to reflect on my own  beliefs and prove that which I am fully convinced of. Owing to your oblivious social skills, perhaps you have not noticed that you're really one of the "cool kids".

It's been a pleasure getting to know you, but our time is drawing to an end. I'd love to say, "See you soon" or "Keep in touch" or "We'll Skype every-so-often" but you know how life goes - it goes on. 'Til our paths cross again, may the wind be always on your back and may your future ventures lead you to discovering the greatest Friend ever. Maybe I've been instrumental in revealing Him to you, maybe I haven't (it's one of those wondrous mysteries I don't understand). 

Anyway, incase you've missed my point all I'm trying to say is: "Thank You". Thank you for being my friend and allowing me to share in your life.  

Yours truly,
Your friend

Comments